Boatswain’s Locker is a leading Marine Distribution and Service business located in Southern California. We are seeking Marine Diesel Technicians with experience in computer diagnostic programs for marine and/or automotive engines. Electrical and mechanical experience in marine propulsion engines, generators, transmissions, controls, and related equipment preferred. Our primary product lines include Scania Marine Engines, Kohler Marine Generators, Hamilton Waterjets, Steyr Motors, COX Outboards and Yanmar Marine Engines. Our sales and service territory is primarily the Southwest US and Hawaii, though for some products it extends north to western Canada and Alaska, and south to Mexico. Some travel is required. The job provides extensive training, with exposure to many interesting and sometimes complex applications. Experience is required and you must have your own tools. Compensation includes a very competitive salary plus benefits. A service vehicle is provided and business related expenses are reimbursed.
Operate with minimum supervision as a marine field technician for a variety of products which the Company represents in alignment with the Company’s Core Values.
Demonstrate the ability to independently repair and service the products represented for OEMs, Dealers, and End-users.
Demonstrate the ability to independently diagnose and repair sometimes complex problems on a variety of products in a timely fashion.
Demonstrate the ability to properly utilize technical information as well as installation and application guidelines as required for the task.
Be capable of determining all required specifications for equipment applications in response to customer requests.
Demonstrate the ability to independently install and test equipment on vessels in compliance with factory specifications and standards.
Ensure that customer requirements and expectations are met by providing technical support in a professional and timely manner.
Work in a team environment to fully utilize internal company assets as well as outside resources when responding to customer requirements.
Travel as needed both domestically and internationally.
Attend service and product training as required and suggested by management.
Maintain the highest level of professional standards when discussing work with customers, suppliers and colleagues.
Maintain high standards of cleanliness and organization.
Comply with Health and Safety regulations and safe working practices.
Comply with Company policies and procedures, including the completion of documents and records in a timely manner.
Exemplify the Company’s Core Values at all times and in all situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must meet the minimum qualifications and demonstrate the following representative competencies:
Education and/or Experience
- Diesel engine mechanical Experience
- Computer knowledge and experience with automotive and/or marine diagnostic software
- Current professional technical certifications for the use of diagnostic software
- Experience with the principles of electricity and electrical systems
- Experience in the repair of later model engines
- A valid California Driver’s License and clean driving record
- A valid US Passport
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong technical service skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Punctual with effective time management skills
- Self-motivated and goal oriented
- Demonstrate strong problem solving and decision making skills including the ability to actively seek root causes and solutions to problems
- Able to configure and recommend equipment as per customer requests
- Eager to learn about new products and their applications
- Strong computer skills
Additional Salary Information: Benefits include: Group medical, Dental, Vision, Disability and life insurance. Paid vacation, personal and holiday pay, sick and special situation paid leave, 401(k) and profit sharing plan, and more.
About Boatswain's Locker
Boatswain’s Locker, a leading supplier of recreational and commercial marine propulsion engines, generators, and related equipment located in Southern California. We have been in business since 1939 and our territory is the Southwest US, Hawaii and the west coast of Mexico.